Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bogged down in downloadables

Trying to download an audio book from Netlibrary has so far taken me 9 hours, and the end is not in sight. Not all Netlibrary's fault, but getting all the equipment working. First wanted to upgrade to the new iPhone operating system, which required syncing the phone, then downloading. installing, and updating the apps. When that ended with and error and the need to restore the phone, then resync, well - 4 hours gone there. And of course I needed to be near the computer to say "OK" to many things. Then off to NetLibrary. Chose my book (1 minute), needed to download NLMedia Center. Whoops - had to have Windows Media Center 11 (which I hadn't gotten 'cause my Zen mp3 player needs a software update to work with 11). Well that was over an hour. Fast internet, old computer. Back to NL Media Center - had to download and install Microsoft updates - another 1 1/2 hours. I'm bad about doing updates - do updates every go smoothly? Not in my experience.... So by Friday night all of the above was done. Sat AM started into NLMC - needed Windows.net Frame (?) - started that, 3 hours later it was still installing (not responding). I think I also downloaded NLMC several times, but can't find it on my computer. By 1:00 Saturday I gave up for the day. I'll try again this morning. Maybe.

(Did get a lot of wash folded while I watched my computer. And I have an updated computer. Guess it's not a total waste of time. Still don't have the book I want. Yet.)

I work with computers everyday. I wonder how many patrons would jump through 1/2 these hoops to check out an e-audio book. With time so scarce, this experience is very frustrating.

Sunday night update: all software downloaded, NLMC opens, two tries to download a book - resulted in two error messages and directions to get in touch with OCLC support center. I'm out of time. May get to try again Tuesday morning. sigh. Some things aren't meant to be. I'm guessing there's some kind of conflict with my iPhone, will pursue that idea sometime. Soon.

1 comment:

  1. God, 9 hours, Page! That's nuts! I gave it about an hour and then gave up permanently! You're awfully committed! I never got mine working and I think there's some real issues with Overdrive and some of the others. Good that we try this ourselves to experience what the patrons must go through. Or, a better question, are there even patrons out there using this stuff?

    ReplyDelete